Monday 15 May 2017

Changes in practice 

Week 32

FINISH!!!

WHAT
I’ve enjoyed my time studying with Mindlab. It’s great professional development. Having some time pressure and assignments actually provides the momentum to complete things and go in depth in which you otherwise wouldn’t. I’ve enjoyed exploring different tools and different mediums and although I haven’t adopted all of them, being informed and making a decision about what tools work best is what’s important.
I’ve been challenged not only in my profession but also how I am as a person. If I am not a supportive, culturally responsive, engaging, responsible, experimenting person (breath required), how would I do that as a teacher? Our history adds to who we are in the classroom and so does each students’ history. Working collaboratively can utilise strengths. How can we bring this alive in our classes?
SO WHAT
So what?! What kind of person would say, “so what?” to that?
Being more authentic, enjoying, experimenting, equipping, inspiring is a rewarding two-way street when it comes to teaching. But I get it… in the dreary winter months near the end of term it seems that it’s just survival mode. BUT let’s not get complacent. Let’s set a benchmark, even if the “ideal” alludes us for a large part of the time.
So what?!

WHAT NEXT
I’m going to find that person who said “So what” and….give them a hug - poor burnt-out/heartless person.
I’m encouraged to keep trying new technologies, ideas and motivational tools. Using, what Harford (2011) explains as “failing fast” provides adequate feedback as to whether the adaptations are effective in that environment or not. Throughout all of Mindlab, they haven’t given us a step-by-step method to introduce concepts in our class, we have to make that connection. This will be the exact same. We have to find out whether our new findings, technologies, tools, people can be adapted into our teaching.
I also have sympathy for my senior students, balancing all their tasks. It’s been hard working full-time and having to study on top of that. Extensions are a mercy. Those who just past, may be balancing a lot on their plate and to excel in a lot, means somethings can’t be 100% and that’s good enough.
Being ok with saying “good enough” about your work.
We will be implementing a collaboration program in the school that I feel confident to take a front foot in. From what we’ve learnt and been involved with, we are at an advantage from what ACRLog (2016) describes when many initiatives don’t have people who are experienced at collaborating.
I will also be picking up a Te Reo course. I’m a bit rusty but I’m genuinely interested in the culture and the language. And if that spills into my teaching great
BUT IT HAS TO START WITHE ME AS A PERSON BEFORE IT AFFECTS ME AS A TEACHER

REFERENCES

ACRLog. (2015). A Conceptual Model for Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Retrieved from http://acrlog.org/2015/05/14/a-conceptual-model-for-interdisciplinary-collaboration

Harford, T. (2012). Adapt. London: Abacus.

Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D., Jasper, M. (2001).Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions: a user’s guide. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing! it feels great doesn't it? This is a great reflection on what you've been through on this journey, it's really interesting how spending some time being a student helps us have empathy for our own students and this in turn can help change the way we do things. Let alone the learning we have done with Mind Lab. I too have decided that I need to have some more focus on learning about Maori culture and bringing that into my school/classroom.

    ReplyDelete